Monday, September 22, 2008

Composer, Artist, Hymn, Shakespeare Monday

We discussed the Last Supper today. The kids were pretty fascinated by it. One of the resources we used said that the pictures that we hold in our hand is probably in better condition than what is left on the Refectory wall now in Milan. I also found this link for detailed discussion. We will spend more time on that next I am hoping. Breaks down the painting piece by piece to understand it. Nice that they built a door way right through the bottom of the painting!
We re-started As You Like It by Shakespeare. We are using the Lamb version of the tales until the kids get older. Nik could actually probably handle reading the actual plays right now, but the point right now is MY sanity, so we are sticking with Lamb for a bit more. I was reminded last night on one of my lists to not keep stopping and rephrasing everything for the kids understanding. For one, this makes the readings LONG and tedious! But, yet, I was still doing it. Here is what Charlotte Mason says about that:
Volume 1, pg 232
The points to be borne in mind are, that he should have no book which is not
a child's classic; and that, given the right book, it must not be diluted with
talk or broken up with questions, but given to the boy in fit proportions as
wholesome meat for his mind, in the full trust that a child's mind is able to
deal with its proper food.

Before the reading for the day begins, the teacher should talk a little(and
get the children to talk) about the last lesson, with a few words about what is
to be read, in order that the children may be animated by expectation; but she
should beware of explanation and, especially, of forestalling the narrative.
Then, she may read two or three pages, enough to include an episode; after that,
let her call upon the children to narrate,--in turns, if there be several of
them. They not only narrate with spirit and accuracy, but succeed in catching the
style of their author. It is not wise to tease them with corrections; they may
begin with an endless chain of 'ands,' but they soon leave this off, and their
narrations become good enough in style and composition to be put in a 'print
book'!
This sort of narration lesson should not occupy more than a quarter of
an hour. The book should always be deeply interesting, and when the
narration is over, there should be a little talk in which moral points are
brought out, pictures shown to illustrate the lesson, or diagrams drawn on
the blackboard.

Isn't she so smart? So, I put it to the test, (I have been timid to try it with dealing with 3 different ages, but I do KNOW better!). I read 10 minutes of As You Like It, and asked for a narration from anyone who could give it to me. Seth went first and gave really good details (of the wrestling match of course;) of the story line. Nik filled in most of the gaps. Lesson accomplished in a mere 15-20 minutes! If only I would always just follow the method... The first time I read it, I got 2 pages and stopped and explained every strange word and innuendo, its just unnecessary! And they would really hate Shakespeare when I was done with them;)

Bach we watched 2 more episodes on YouTube of The Great Composer~Bach series. They are interested. I just need to somehow get us listening to classical music during the day. I think that would help them.

I still have half a day to do with them, but its close to 2pm, guess we will get in the major stuff!;) It is getting smoother for sure!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a looser. I did not realize you were blogging here. I am posting you on my blog right now! Yeah! Thanks friend for sharing. I have to go catch up on your posts. xoxo

Renee said...

No, you are totally not, I just started! I just had to move, cause I hated that other one, and I was in blogging depression;)