Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Composer, Artist and Hymn Study

On Mondays, I try to combine as many things as I can and teach them as a *class*. This works really well with the Composer, Artist and Hymn of the term (I also combine Handbook of Nature Studies, Shakespeare & Folksongs, but so far I am not as creative with those three, ha!, but we still do those on Mondays also). This school year, with all the crunches most of us are going through, I basically do not have a school budget. So for these three I use itunes and YouTube alot. I just wanted to share some of the links that I have been using.

Johann Sabastian Bach
For Bach, the first four weeks we are focusing on the Magnificat. I am finding it so fun to have to teach the kids something that, on a regular basis, I would not take the time to study or listen to on my own. (this is all about my education, right?) Anyway, I found lots of great links and info!
The Magnificat was written for an Orchestra and (I believe) 5 vocalists. So the first week we talked a lot about what an Orchestra is and what instruments make it up. I got to show the kids the different instruments and listen to them. I think they appreciated the music after they got to hear all the different types that go into it. I found this on YouTube:



Then I found this breakdown of the Latin of the Magnificat for them. Of course you could just look it up in the book of Luke;) Then a short bio with LOTS of MIDI files are here. A longer bio is of course on Wikepedia;) Also, since this wasn't enough (ha!) I searched Bach's full name in YouTube and found a Great Composer Series from BBC! We spent a slight bit of time around the computer screen on Monday morning.


Leonardo Da Vinci
Ok, then for Mr. Da Vinci...we have been studying him for LITERALLY a year! UGH! He was the Artist for the first term of September 2007! I was so good and got the prints off to Office Max and got copies for all the kids, laminated, etc. But, well, then our house got literally turned upside downside;) (Ok, just the back of the house got ripped off, but still.) So, since I had the prints and the books, I kept on with him. So beside the prints, we are using a couple books that guide us through some of the portraits. One is Leonardo Da Vinci by Ernest Raboff and the other is Leonardo Da Vinci (haha) by Bruno Santi. I did find some websites also. One is from the Louvre that takes a close up view the Mona Lisa. And then Nik is reading this Landmark book by Emily Hahne.

All the Way my Savior Leads Me, by Fanny Crosby

This is our hymn to study for the next twelve weeks. It is a beautiful hymn, but learning more about Fanny Crosby has really impacted my kids. She went blind at 6 weeks from a mere eye infection, and a *doctor* gave her a wrong remedy and ruined her eye sight. She wrote this poem when she was 8:


Oh what a happy soul I am,
Although I cannot see;
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy,
That other people don't;
To weep and sigh because I'm blind,
I cannot, and I won't."

And she is quoted as saying:

It seemed in­tend­ed by the bless­ed prov­i­dence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dis­pen­sa­tion. If per­fect earth­ly sight were of­fered me to­mor­row I would not ac­cept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been dis­tract­ed by the beau­ti­ful and in­ter­est­ing things about me.

And then good ol' youtube helped me out again;) A pastor used her as a sermon illustration. The kids had heard most of it, but I think it was like they were getting to watch TV during school, so I let them see it. The only thing that was questionable, was how he presented her getting saved...but beside that it was good information, and it brought up good conversation starters. (Not that my kids really need any of those;))





She definitely led an extraordinary life, writing over 8000 hymns and poems! Her concepts and dependence on her Lord is quite inspiring.

2 comments:

Dr. Jack Lumanog said...

I love Fanny Crosby hymns... never heard them until I started going to Baptist school. My funeral plan does have "To God Be the Glory" in there.

Renee said...

I didn't really know much about her before we started this study except that she was blind. But, I do know SO many of her hymns that I didn't realize SHE wrote. Growing up with good ol' Kenneth Copeland gospel tapes is paying off~ha!
Funeral Plan, hmmm...