Friday, February 20, 2009

Wisdom

Have you ever felt that parental compulsion to make the RIGHT decision?!? Probably if you are a parent, you feel it every day and so you know exactly what I am talking about. We are feeling the bumps in the road with our oldest and I refuse to chalk it up to prepubescent-ness or because he is in middle school now, or because *they just act that way* stage. I REFUSE!

Well, as I was trying to process this with my wonderful Henry...God so used him to speak to my heart. "We are called to lay a foundation right now...that is it!"

Can you hear my sigh? And NOT that, by any stretch of the imagination is that EASY, but...possible and RIGHT! He does NOT have to get every BSF lesson, he does NOT need to understand every memory verse, he does NOT need to *get* every sermon on Sunday, etc, etc, etc. BUT, it is adding up, it is building, it is going to give him his foundation.

Tedd Tripp (which I will expand on soon in a post) said at a conference, that we tend to believe that raising children is a sprint, when really it is a MARATHON. Which happens to be speaking my language, I am starting to get the difference.

Our children don't *get* everything we tell them every time. Imagine God expecting that from us! (God forgive me!) But it DOES build that foundation from them. Our children WILL have a place to draw from in the desert and dry times. They will know God when they leave here.

Foundation building...mother guilt cannot be found today in foundation building. Thank you Henry!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Nae!
It's so good to see you bloggin' again! I've missed you & your stories about your lovely family!
I can totally relate to this, as Kanan is almost 13!! (Man does THAT make me feel old!)
But yah, what a brilliant way to put it, Marathon vs. Sprint. So often I find myself wondering when I'll be 'done', when can we move on to a new phase?...
That's just not reality & that's not how I need to think of it. I need to consider this a long term investment, one that needs constant attention & patience to grow into it's (his) full potential.
(wow, that almost sounds poetic....I have to admit, it's midnight, I'm typing this & my boys are playing xbox!... so much for that lovely picture of domestic bliss I just created, eh!) ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this - we are having some attitude issues and it's nice to know we just need to take one day at a time - not solve the whole thing right now..I need to read Ted's book again!

Unknown said...

I just took out my pom-pom's! You are back! Two posts! Love it! Thanks for sharing the wisdom. It is easy to get caught up in the details and think we have so much control. We don't. I take such rest in that. Savannah is 9 1/2 and has great days and really dumpy moments. In those moments, if I can shut my mouth, He can take care of the situation. She is sensitive to honoring God and along with that comes her parents. Sometimes we all need a reminder.

I have another half marathon coming up in April, just realized it yesterday. Gotta get moving again.

Charlotte said...

I am so loving the Ted Tripp series. Good, good stuff! And I miss you like crazy!